Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Road to Bali and Moonflowers

I'm always on the lookout for flower and gardening references in movies and commercials. I was thrilled to discover one of my favorite blooming flowers in the Bing Crosby and Bob Hope "On the Road" movie marathon this weekend. In "The Road To Bali" there was a great song about the exotic fragrant moonflowers.


Growing moonflowers is easy. Either find moonflowers in seed packets at the garden center or find someone with moonflowers. The seed pods are plentiful. You'll never need to buy moonflower seeds again. Make sure you soak the seed pod overnight and score the hard shell with a knife before planting. They will emerge quickly and seem to grow overnight to about 8 to 10 feet tall. This is a wonderful plant for children as it combines human senses; large, white flower that literally blossoms in front of your eyes for sight, heady perfume for smell, and it opens at night.

Moonflowers in "The Road To Bali" should be the clue that this annual vine will freeze in cold weather. But finding the flowers in bloom and seed now will allow you to save them for next spring.


You can hear Dorothy Lamour singing the song here.

MOONFLOWERS
From the film "Road To Bali" (1952)(Johnny Burke / Jimmy Van Heusen)
Romance comes with the moonflowers.
Tonight the moonflowers will be in bloom.
Love walks among the moonflowers.
I planted moonflowers outside my room.
I'll watch the path that winds by the wishing tree.
It ends beneath my window and there I'll be.
And there I'll wait for the love I longed for
Tonight the moonflowers may bloom anew.
(Orchestral Interlude)
I'll watch the path that winds by the wishing tree.
It ends beneath my window and there I'll be.
And there I'll wait for the love I long for
Tonight the moonflowers may bloom anew.

No comments:

Post a Comment