Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Keeping Squirrels Out of Your Feeder? Impossible!

Have you ever wished for the perfect baffle box to keep squirrels away from your bird feeder? I thought I had found one when I purchased a beautiful copper guaranteed squirrel proof bird feeder that closed all the openings when any weight was put onto the feeder. It worked ideally when I had it in my hand and put a small weight on it, the feeder openings closed tightly. Happy with myself for finding a solution, I thought it was working until I glimpsed from my bedroom window, a big fat gray squirrel hanging upside down from the same limb the bird feeder was hanging from - and without touching the bird feeder - the squirrel hung upside down by his feet and feasted right from the guaranteed squirrel-proof buffet openings. No, I didn't take back the bird feeder and get a refund. I just never filled it up with bird food again. It's a garden accessory now.

Keeping squirrels out of your yard is 'Mission Impossible.' Carling Black Label Beer thought the animals were so much fun, they made an advertisement with the little rodents.



Now here's a non-commercial capturing different but still as smart squirrels with reggae music.




Face it. Squirrels are nothing but rats with press agents.

Want to feed squirrels? Here's a great publication from UF's Sally Scalera.

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation: Squirrels

Florida's Squirrels

Have you ever seen a Fox Squirrel?

Southern Fox Squirrel

Sherman Fox Squirrel habitat.




Removing squirrels from your home or attic.

No comments:

Post a Comment