Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Cast Irons Not In A Good Light

Driving in Winter Park, I noticed a sad situation.  These cast iron plants, Aspidistra elatior, were burning up with the heat.  They were not new plants and I wondered why they were scorched.  I stopped my car to try and solve the mystery. 

 
The garden bed was filled with mondo grass, cast irons, and bromeliads, all shade loving plants.  With the heat of the summer sun, the future does not bode well for these easy-care groundcovers for areas that don't get sunlight.
 
 
Turning to view the sidewalk and entire front yard, the answer was right there.  A live oak, obviously an older tree, rotting and in danger of falling onto cars or the sidewalk had been removed. 
 
 
Although the bromeliads are a variety that can with time adjust to sunlight, for the landscape's health, low water use, and continued easy maintenance, the mondo grass and cast irons should be removed from the area and replaced with either turf, sun-loving shrubs, or groundcovers. Mystery solved but will the plants survive?  I'll check on them in a few weeks to see what happens.

1 comment:

  1. I have cast iron plants underneath my live oak and love their glossy, deep-green foliage. Such a lovely, low-maintenance plant IN THE RIGHT PLACE. Your post is a vivid reminder of that time-tested principle. I sure hope the homeowner finds a shadier spot for them, or passes them on to a friend with a big old oak in need of some "canopy company."

    ReplyDelete